Art Exhibition in the Dark * Group Show
January 29, 30 & 31, 2010
Curated by Becky Jaffe, Carrie-Andrea Kaye and Lanell Dike
Life is a play of shadow and light.
Illuminating Shadows is a celebration of winter, darkness and our shadow selves. The show will take place in the dark, with the artwork illuminated by viewers with personal flashlights. All mediums accepted for submission review. We also welcome art that includes light, neon and EL wire.
Please email photographs (no more than five) of your work with an artist statement explaining how your piece reflects the theme, Illuminated Shadows. (Please note that this show will take place in the dark and that your piece will be viewed by flashlight.)
Email your submission by Friday, December 18 to: submissions (at) frisbiest (dot) com. We will respond to all submissions by December 21.
Cost to participate: $45 (Due by the end of December if your submission is accepted. There is no submission fee. Money is used for show materials including postcards, food, drinks, art materials for kid activities on the weekend & other show costs.)
Benefits for artists:
* space to exhibit your work & gain exposure for your art
* no commissions taken on sales of artwork – you receive 100%
* publicity (including show postcard to distribute to your networks)
* cool 3 day show with art activities by day and live music at night
* network and meet other artists
* display and promotion of artwork & link to your website
* Dec 18 * Submission Deadline
* Dec 21 * We will contact you regarding your submission
* Jan 4 * Show postcards printed & available for distribution
* Jan 4 to 31 * Show promotion – invite friends, family, networks
* Jan 22 * Installation Begins+
* Jan 29, 30 & 31 * Exhibition
+ Installation begins the weekend of Jan 22 – all artwork must be received by Jan. 17.
Friday, Jan 29
6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m
Show Opening, Live Music
Saturday, Jan. 30
4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 31
1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m
Of course you do not have to be present for the entire exhibition (come when you can) but we would love your participation in whatever way possible with set-up or clean-up and to invite & meet and greet with the people who come to see the show and your artwork.
About Frisbie St.
Frisbie St. is an alternative art space in Oakland, CA for artists to exhibit their work and for the community to gather to enjoy and create art together. We host one-weekend shows to highlight emerging and innovative artists in solo and group Exhibitions and monthly Art Days with fun, hands-on art activities for adults and kids.
Frisbie St. is a volunteer effort with the main goal being to share art & creativity and enjoy & build community. Check out our website for more information about past Art Shows and recent Frisbie St. activities.